A man has been found guilty of trying to make a bomb to be used in a driverless car.
Farhad Salah was convicted at Sheffield Crown Court of preparing to commit acts of terrorism.
Jurors heard how Salah, 24, an Iraqi Kurd, posted on social media about using a driverless car in an attack.
The jury failed to reach a verdict on his co-defendant, chip-shop owner Andy Star, who was charged with the same offence.
Prosecutors told the trial how Salah and Mr Star, 32, were in the early stages of testing small improvised explosive devices when they were arrested in raids on their homes in a Sheffield community centre and a Chesterfield fish and chip shop in December 2017
Mr Star has always insisted gunpowder and other items found in his flat above the chip shop were all connected to his long-standing interest in fireworks.
The jury was discharged after 15 hours of deliberations.
It was the second jury to try the pair, said Judge Paul Watson QC.
He said that another jury failed to reach verdicts on either defendant after a trial last year.
The judge told Mr Star a decision had been made that he should not face a second retrial and a not guilty verdict was recorded in his case.
He said Mr Star could go free but that he would continue to be detained on immigration matters.
The judge said Salah would be sentenced on July 24.